It’s the most wonderful time of the year – yes, ladies, it’s Sale Season!! If you’re a serious shopper (and bargain hunter) like me, it’s time to get some real damage done (as in credit card- but remember, its a bargain!), and hopefully set yourself up with some terrific pieces for the year ahead.
Here are 5 tips to get the best deals and have a blast doing it:
1. Be An Early Bird – The cardinal rule in shopping, whether it be for a designer sample sale or at your farmers market for organic veg. My sister, who works nights, does her grocery shopping at 7pm and always ends up with the lousy produce. Duh? If shopping for shoes especially, the size 7 and 8’s are gone in a flash if you aren’t early. So set that alarm early ladies, it pays.
2. Make Time – You need time and patience to do a good shop. Trust me, a frenzied trip to a sale on your lunch break is not a good idea. Clear your schedule for a couple of hours of good, solid shopping time. And do go through the items with patience, no matter how haphazard presentation may be – remember, amidst the polyester there may be some cashmere.
3. Grab as You Go– When scouring a sale, grab items that take your fancy, then edit later. If you hesitate and think that you can “come back for it later”, chances are it will be gone.
4. Dress Appropriately – Yes, you should always look stylish, but when I’m on a serious shopping trip I like to dress for ease in the changing room. A pair of tight, skinny jeans, for example, is a nightmare to take on and off in the changing room, as are shirts with too many buttons or other fiddly bits. You want an outfit that is easy to throw on and off when trying on multiple items of clothing.
5. Be Resourceful -Be friendly to sales staff at your favourite shops and they are likely to keep you in the know – when new sales stock is coming in, what may be hidden in the stockroom etc. Online is also a good place to hunt for bargains when you just can’t face the crowds any longer. Some good options are: